Thursday 19 March 2015

The Structure

It was Suggested to me to make a structure by taking a photo every morning at 11am for example, I thought this structure may not work effectively because my days are varied and often it is not easily doable to take an exposure based on the light around me at this point. Also if I was to take a photograph at that same moment each day, the project would become about that moment rather than about the passage of time. Perhaps in a future project I will make a body of work surrounding one moment.
It reminds me of the book 'Thief of Time' by Sir Terry Pratchett, where two of the characters experience a 'perfect moment' - I am sure I would begin my photographic experimentation based on this.
This has led me think a lot how I can structure my work.

Each moment is an act, each photograph represents a methodical way of working (workflow)

The structure I choose is not so linear, it consists of: The screens I spend too much time sitting in front of, my dreams and aspirations symbolised by surroundings that I connect with. The camera is an anthropomorphic being, waiting for me to return from my dreams and from me going elsewhere. The camera is my pet, I have to return to it every so often to take care of it, to caress it, to feed it with film and light. Photographing is not merely an act, it is a psychological state, a psychological character that I must engage with.

RIP Terry, I am sure I will see you somewhere in Ankh-Morpork or Lancre soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment