Wednesday 18 March 2015

Farnham Castle

I took these interior photographs of Farnham Castle. I have worked there often as a Housekeeper, which mostly involves hauling laundry up the stairs, there are a lot of stairs and hidden corridors in the castle. I spend a lot of time walking through the corridors trying to get somewhere, these are now mundane spaces to me, but places that first appeared grand. I asked my boss if I could quickly take some photos after my shift ended and she said it should be fine. I haven't included any people in these photos as I am usually working by myself and don't spend anytime having conversations with people in the spaces. There are usually people around but it is often fairly deserted, though there are often people setting tables in the Great Hall. I don't intend this as a stand alone series or project, but photographs to integrate into my main series of images.















I shot these on my small portable camera, I used this as it has a very accurate white-balance and internal exposure meter. I shot with a small wide angle lens to make sure i could fit everything in frame, it has enough resolution that I could crop if needed. I think these images accurately display the interior of some areas of the castle. The thing I dislike about them is that it was not really feasible for me to take a large 4x5 camera and tripod and spend ages setting up each shot, as this is a place I go to work and it would not be prudent of me to get in the way. I would have liked to take long exposure shots of this place to display the passing of time but again it wasn't my place to be setting up cameras that take a few hours to shoot. I took all these photos in the space of about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment