Wednesday 18 March 2015

"From Then Till Now" working title Project Idea 4


“From Then Till Now” (working title) represents time passing, how I feel that time is slipping away each day. Everything is going forward at a pace that I am not able to control. I visit into to the countryside, it puts life on pause, a lot can happen in a day trip outside of my life, but really nothing major happens. I am not a president of a country so disappearing for a day has no dire consequences.
In the main body of work surrounding my inside life the photographs are shot on large format with a very shallow aperture and low iso film to force a long shutter speed that highlights the passage of time in each moment. I use a large format camera to force myself to only take a few photos a week and focus on the main moments where I am still and the passage of time is noticeable to the camera, but not noticeable to myself. When I can I like to escape the chains of university and work life to explore places that are new to myself.

It has come from my idea of photographing the permanence in the world. I never got time to go visit the Sea and that idea never really took off.

I am now considering using the 5x4 camera with darkroom paper, because I have been told by Peter Renn, that it is about iso 6, which would enable me to make photographs that represent a whole day or several hours. So far the longest photograph I took was about 40 minutes in a dark room where I was researching while watching tv on my laptop. I am also experimenting with a ND filter that block 8 stops of light, on this I have taken photographs of a whole night, and the drive to uni, and various moments. As I haven’t finished the roll of film yet I still can take a few more photos before I see the results. It is possible the photographs will turn out completely white and overexposed. Which could be fine as a presentation to show time going on the boundaries of what I am capable, and represents me at the mercy of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment