Sunday 26 April 2015

Printing A0

Recently I have been printing some A2 size prints of my 10x8 captures. Originally I intended to display them as their negatives on the wall, they are just so nice, but after printing my 5x4s at A3 size to show in tutorials, I really liked having these prints to hold and show. Its so much nicer to have a print in your hands than a representation on a screen. Seeing the size difference again made me think of printing big. I thought for a week about it, and I decided to take the plunge. The work needs to be as big as possible, to have the effect. Shooting on 10x8 demands consideration, when you take a photograph on 10x8 so much work and setting up as gone into the process that it is highly considered. These shots cannot be merely walked by, when for example you are using an SLR, you walk around and snap at so many things, when using such large format everything is methodically thought through. These photographs cannot merely be walked past, so the Print needs to be large, to demand attention.
I chose the image I wanted carefully, as I cant simply print another if it does not work out well. I even had to rescan the negative to ensure I had enough resolution, just to be methodical. I went over the image from the start. Again I left in the problems of the scan process, and paid attention to the development process so the strange effects came through. I rotated the image to make things simpler when printing onto the 'roll paper', which was big enough to fit a A1 across, or an A0 lengthwise.
I methodically went through the print settings, 16-bit output, Super Fine Detail, unclick high-speed, all through the paper options.
I printed a test strip, of approximately 3 inches to check the print, check the sharpness, the tones, the resolution. All was great so I decided to proceed. It took around an hour and a half to finish printing. When It was finished I noticed quickly there was several inches missing from the other side of the print.
I had to come back the next day to do another print. I guess there was no definitive way of knowing the roll was nearly done, it sure looked like there was a fair amount of paper left. If I had not printed the test strip it would have printed the whole image, but I am still glad I did the test print, because I can imagine if I printed the whole thing before checking and one little thing that I might have overlooked could have ruined the whole print. The next day when I printed everything went without a hitch. Again II went through all the settings, though they hadn't changed since the previous day.


No comments:

Post a Comment