Saturday 25 April 2015

Michael Wesely Research and more Reflections

Michael Wesely is a German photographic artist. He specializes in ultra-long exposure photography.
What do I think of his work?
It is highly intriguing to view these exposures, the time span is so great that when things move they really create ghosts. These exposures push the camera beyond what the human eye can see.

How does this relate to my work?
I have been pushing the cameras (and photographic materials) to capture light in a way that the human eye cannot see, partially to record those passages of time, and explore the movement and the interactions within it, set by the boundaries of science. The aperture - the shutter speed - the ISO of the photographic material. I started this project to control the exposures and to control my time, bu really I am at the mercy of time, at the mercy of light. I dont determine the exposures really, the available light does. I can change the aperture, to affect the shutter speed, I can use different ISO paper, but I would still be stuck in its idiosyncratic properties.
This naturally led to my project becoming a relationship with the camera. I must take care of the camera, I must take care of the paper. The camera takes care of me, by giving me something I cannot give myself, views into a ghost world controlled by light and time.

Michael Wesely's work:




from: http://petapixel.com/2012/03/16/photographs-captured-over-years-with-an-open-camera-shutter/

from: http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3AAD%3AE%3A8194&page_number=4&template_id=1&sort_order=1

No comments:

Post a Comment