Thursday 2 April 2015

Printer Profiles

Today I have been learning about colour profiles.

I printed my final pieces fairly easily as I used Epsom printing paper, and the screen had already been calibrated, and the profiles had already been loaded onto the system.
The only trouble I had was as I was printing large - A0 - I talked with my tutor to make sure everything was clicked correctly in the print settings in Photoshop - I am used to printing from light room, and the majority of my printing has been from there.
Last Year I printed form Photoshop all day everyday in my job at Splash photos. In that job I was making quick prints on glossy paper to be sold quickly, rather than high quality exhibition worthy prints to be deliberated over.

My prints have been in black and white so it has been fairly simple, however I helped others doing their final pieces.
The trouble my friend had was that she was using different paper profiles. We had to download it from the fotospeed website, which to be honest it was hard to find, I had to specifically google the profile rather than go through the website find the paper and find the profile, as there just didn't seem to be a link there.
When I downloaded it I was able to follow the instructions that had also been downloaded with it. I had to find the folder "Library" which on these shared university computers was not so easy, then I had to drag the file in to the subfolder labelled "Profiles". Then in Photoshop I loaded a test file, brought up Print Settings, and chose Photoshop manages colour, instead of printer manages colour in the menu. The Profile was in the list there.
We chose to un-click high speed, and chick finest detail, which we set at the maximum available, which for this was "SuperPhoto - 2880dpi" in the print settings within print settings.

This was good experience, even though it didn't directly affect me, it is something I can bare in mind in the future. I think if I was by myself or in a calmer setting I could work things out quicker, with a busy environment with many people asking me questions while I was reading it took a little longer, but for my first go, I feel it went well, and I can remember how to do this next time I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment