Saturday 25 April 2015

5x4 Paper Photographs












This is my favourite of the photographs i took on 5x4 of the TV as the screen was on for a bit, and the camera was not visible at all through the viewfinder so I was surprised and happy when I saw this come up in the developer.



I spoke to Peter Renn, Paul Corcoran, and Beytan Erkmen and I google searched and found the ISO for the black and white, multigrade resin coated Ilford darkroom paper to be ISO 3. This gave me extremely long exposure times. I used a lightmeter, which let me put the ISO down to 3, set a shutter speed for 60 seconds and it would tell me an aperture. Often if was f1.4 so I would have to do maths and count up the apertures, doubling my exposure times each time. Then remember to add more time for the reciprocity failure of the paper.
Usually the times were varying from 24 minutes to an hour and a half, but several of the photographs were taken over night for 12 hours, like the one of the kitchen.
I would often set the camera up, then leave to then return to it when it was time to close the shutter and put the darkslide back into the negative holder, and pack everything away.

This repeated methodical process is where the project is, it is not defined by prints I may put on the wall. Each one represents an individual moment between me and the camera.

I love the texture on the paper that shows up in these scans. It gives them an organic feel. I started trying to document the time passing, with the repetition of the TV screens, and often I photograph while I am watching TV or using a computer, but this has turned my view of this time related project to one of personal relationship with the camera - discussed in my blog posts with the tag "reflections".

No comments:

Post a Comment