Saturday 25 April 2015

Those same Initial 10x8 photos















The tones look a bit strange when compressed and re-sized for the web, but when I see these images like this, I take back what I previously said about wanting to display them small. These photographs need to be big. If I could economically print one the size of a bus I would. There is such sharp detail in them I feel one could look at them for hours to pick out all the minor details, the way the elemental objects play out within the composition. Shooting on f64 and careful framing and critical focusing has helped get such a wide depth of field. I did play with the tilting aspects of the 10x8 camera. But I found the shift very useful for framing precise shots. The camera is very unwieldy so I would get it more or less set up right, all leveled and squared away how I wanted, then focus and shift the lens and ground glass precisely how I wanted over 5 minutes. I would take several meter readings, and pay careful attention to the sky, what the clouds were doing, how the light was moving to make sure my exposures were correct. I feel this super slow way of working has helped to create a meaning to my photographs and allowed me to think not just how to perfect the image, but also to ask myself why I am taking each respective image. 
However although it frees my mind to think critically about why I am taking photographs, the size and weight of the camera severely limit the usage of the camera. It lives in a large PeliCase. It rolls on wheels, this means I can not really take it off road very far, and when I walk I must use the easiest least bumpy paths I can find. Often I have a friend to help me with the tripod and setting up 'the beast' aka 'Nidhogg'.

No comments:

Post a Comment