Thursday 19 November 2015

MA Photography - Time - Project Proposal 1 - That Moment when She Arrives at the Airport

Peter Thornton - Time - Project Proposal 1
18/10/2015
Working Title:
That moment when she arrives at the airport

What I want to do:
Expose a sheet of film for one week while my partner visits the UK
Why do I want to do this: My partner lives and works outside of the UK and I only get to see her once every few months when we have the time or money that we can visit each other. People take pictures and selfies when they see family and friends again. I witnessed many tourists with their friends and family taking the same pictures at Trafalgar Square the other day which made me think of my own loved one. How a camera can condense a 'moment' or a series of 'moments' into one plane, one sheet of film, one sheet of paper. The world around us in many dimensions, the always moving 'time' transfixed in one space, through a camera lens. I imagine the result will be a completely blown out dark sheet of film.
Another option is to photograph each day, so there will be 7 in total, and make a book of these moments. The time in this is a week, the concept of a 7 day week. Working 5 days and having a 2 day break that most people conform to. A book is a tactile thing one can hold in your hands and flip through and a pace that one feels comfortable with, it is a personal and intimate experience and is different to seeing prints on a wall. One cradles a book, take cares of it, holds it gently, caresses it. One can fall asleep with a book like one falls asleep with a lover.
A week is a significant entity. People often count down the weeks and the days until something happens, until an event. Like how I have been slowly counting down the weeks when I get to see my kulta.

Materials:
film, camera, photographic paper, enlarger, chemicals for film and paper development
book materials, paper, binding thread, needles, scissors, cloth/fabric, card

Skills required:
Camera use, Enlarging, developing film, developing paper, book making (i like to hand make my own books)

Cost:
1 roll of film £5
1 box of paper £40
book making materials £40
camera: 30£
total: £115

4 months of degree: £1932
4 months rent: £1300
Gas and electric: £88
internet: £26
travelling costs: £675
food: £400
Overall Total:  £4536

No comments:

Post a Comment